Race to PNG’s 9th Parliament starts
Caption: (L-R) PNG Electoral Commissioner, Patilias Gamato (left) with Governor General, Bob Dadae showing a copy of the Writ for the 2017 national elections.
By PATRICK PANUA
THE Governor General, Bob Dadae, on Thursday signed and issued 111 writs and commanded all Returning Officers of 22 Provincial Electorates and 89 Open Electorates to conduct the 2017 National Election.
This at the Government House on Thursday marked the beginning of the election process for the 9th Parliament of PNG.
Mr Dadae said the election will be another big event which will be coordinated, managed and conducted by PNG Electoral Commission.
He said the 111 seats in the National Parliament will be contested by sitting Members of Parliament and intending candidates.
“Acting with, and in accordance with, the advice of the Electoral Commission, I Bob Dadae as the Head of State and the Governor General of Papua New Guinea hereby fix these dates to hold and conduct the 2017 general election for the 9th National Parliament,” he said.
- Call for nomination started at 4pm, Thursday April 20, 2017
- Close of nomination at 4pm Thursday April 27, 2017
- Nationwide polling period starts Saturday June 24, 2017
- End of polling nationwide on Saturday July 8, 2017
- Return of Writs on or before Monday July 24,2017
- Electoral Commisioner, Patilias Gamato said all Returning Officers accepted nominations across the country from intending candidates and sitting Members of Parliament beginning at 4pm on Thursday.
Mr Gamato said the nomination period will run for seven days from April 20 and will end on Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 4pm.
He said all nominations will be accepted at District Headquarters of the Electorate by the Returning Officers or by Assistant Returning Officers at the LLG headquarters.
Intending candidates are encouraged to come forward before the close of nomination to nominate as candidates.